Monday, September 28, 2015

To Transplant or Not to Transplant...


Since my last post I met with my BMT doctor in Pittsburgh and they are in the process of getting everything together for my transplant. So the next time I go to Pittsburgh is for my intake appointment where i meet the whole team and learn about the process, risk and what not. Now here is my dilemma. My CBC at this appt showed that my counts actually stayed the same since the previous appointment the week before.

Hemoglobin: 9.3
Platelets: 28??
WBC: I'm still not sure. It's still within normal range.

Now this is where i raised my eyebrow. MY COUNT STAYED THE SAME!! For the first time since I been diagnosed my counts actually haven't dropped.

Now I went to get a CBC done again last Thursday and my hemoglobin still stayed the same and my platelets actually went up!! To 32!!! So what does this mean? I have not been able to talk to either of my doctors about what this could mean. I have been trying to reach them with no response which is really irritating. I did have a nurse return a phone call and said she think the Doctor still wants to go ahead with the transplant. But that's not good enough for me. I need to know why they think this is the best treatment versus something else being that my counts are actually holding. So that's where I am now. I get another CBC done this coming Thursday. I'm a little eager to see what my counts look like this week. If they go up like they did last week I will definitely demand to speak to the Doctor immediately. I truly don't want to have a transplant if i don't need to. The way my counts are going I feel like i can afford to explore some other treatment options.

So stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment